Choosing to rebuild, add on, or replace your deck is a significant step that requires plenty of effort. Even when you are just in the planning phase, finding the right person for the job is essential. To achieve the perfect living space, you need to follow a few critical steps. They include the following:
- Get Recommendations
Consider seeking recommendations from your family and friends. You do not need to spend a lot of time finding the right builder. The simple old-fashioned way of asking around works great.
- Check Out Online Reviews
One of the best ways to find the potential of a deck builder is by reading their online reviews. Visit their website and find out what previous clients have to say about their experience. Even though you should take all online reviews with a grain of salt, they can help you make a decision. If a builder has more negative reviews than positive ones, they are wrong for you.
- Contact Them
Contact your potential builders over the phone or email. Please take note of how they speak to you and your first impression of them. Some of the most important questions to ask when you first contact them include:
- Can you secure all the permits I need?
- Can you help me with the design phase of the project?
- How much experience do you have?
- Have you worked with composite decks before?
- Meet In-Person
If you are happy with your interaction with them on the phone, schedule a meeting with potential builders in person. Your meeting can give you the clarity you need to make the right decision. Find out if their communication style aligns with yours. During your meeting, ask the following questions:
- What method of communication do you prefer?
- Can I view a few of your previous jobs?
- How do you handle problems such as unplanned costs and changes in schedule?
- Do you work with a regular crew?
- Do you understand the type of deck I want to build, and have you built a similar one in the past?
- What is the expected timeline for the job?
- Get Estimates
When you have a few potential builders in mind, consider getting estimates from a few of them. Ask them for a comprehensive contract and go through it. Ensure that you understand every part of it. If you have any questions, ask for clarification before signing the contract. During this process, you need to ask a few important questions. Some of them include:
- Do you have proof of licensing and insurance?
- What is your preferred payment method?
- Do you accept payment plans?
- Can you provide a list of references?
- Sign the Contract
Once you have done all the research and found the most appropriate deck builder for your needs, sign the contract.
Deckorum can help you build the deck of your dreams while keeping your carbon footprint in check. It provides high-quality products at fair rates and can answer your questions about composite decking.