There is nothing more special than making home-made wedding cards that can double as souvenirs for your wedding. Creating your own wedding cards may be more tedious than simply having them made to order, but you cannot take the distinction out of something that is said to be ‘hand-made.’ It is also a good way to save money without having to sacrifice quality and style. Here are some tips and ideas on how to make hand-made wedding cards:
On selecting your materials:
- First is to think up of a motif, a color and a design. It would be best if the color of you card is same or complementary to the wedding motif.
- Second, you need to select the paper and the materials needed to put together your unique card. Paper products can be bought from your local book/stationery stores where buying bulk is cheaper. You can use can also use your computer and print out photographs or clip art. Purchased and/or home-made scrapbook and arts and crafts supplies may also be used.
- When selecting the paper, choose one that is not too bold as to overpower the colored font of your invitation. The general size of an invitation is 81/2in by 11in, folded in half. But you can choose other shapes like squares, heart shapes, wedding bell shapes or even scroll form.
- Always keep into mind your budget and go for home-made alternatives if you feel you are spending too much in store products.
Generally, wedding card invitations should contain the following:
- The names of the groom and the bride.
- The names of officiating priests or pastors or spiritual authority.
- The names of the principal sponsors; these are the wedding god-parents and may be more than one pair, although only one pair will be signing the marriage contract.
- The names of the secondary sponsors, which includes the groomsmen and junior groomsmen and the bridesmaids and junior bridesmaids.
- The date, time and address and illustrated map of where the wedding is to be held.
- The address, time and number of reserved seating for the wedding reception, which usually includes an earlier date when the guests are to confirm their attendance.
The wonderful thing about making wedding cards is that you can do it at home, you can choose your own design and it is easy to do:
- You can choose a simple printed card using your computer and printing it on floral and wedding themed paper available in many bookstores. To add personality, you can add a photograph of the couple in one of the inserts of the invitation.
- You can use different materials and motifs, such as ribbons, stencils, small charms or dried leaves. And even if you are not much of a creative, you can find instructions and creative examples online. All you need is a glue gun and some paper, simple materials, and you are set to go.